I Spent 51 Hours Studying 2 Programmers Who Built a $970 M Company— Here’s What I Learnt From Their Journey


In 2007, the Internet was not what it seems today.

People have started using the Internet to:

  • Interact via email
  • Play games
  • Watch videos

But the Internet was missing one big thing.

Live video streaming.

People wanted to broadcast their lives over the Internet.

Two friends, Emmett Shear and Justin Kan, understood this great need. They created a social platform that ended up becoming Twitch.

I spent fifty-one hours studying these two programmers and here’s what I learned from their journey.

1. Take advantage of the low opportunity cost of college

In college, I wanted to start a business in my sophomore year.

I had no idea what kind of business it would be. I talked to my friends about starting a business together. They all said no.

They said a business would hinder their personal growth and prevent them from enjoying college life.

I gave up. Movies filled my free time.

Emmett and Justin’s story reflected my situation.

Both were students at Yale University. Emmett liked hanging out with Justin’s roommates. He became Justin’s unofficial roommate. One day, a roommate suggested starting a business together.

How did they move forward?

My friends didn’t want to start a business.

Most of my college friends want to play it safe. They were all planning to start a business, but around 30. At that moment I couldn’t give valid reasons to start.

After studying various entrepreneurs I’m convinced taking risks early in life unlocks hidden opportunities.

Here